Nata de coco (15 portions):
- 1 l. mature coconut water
- 100 gr. sugar
- 8 ml. acetic glacial acid
- 200 gr. started (nata de coco mother)
Squid (10 portions):
- 1 squid (600gr.-700gr. per piece)
- 10 gr. extra virgin olive oil
Black purée (8 portions):
- 200 gr. eggplant
- 50 gr. tomato
- 60 gr. onion
- 12 gr. garlic
- 10 gr. banana
- 15 gr. squid ink
To serve (1 portion):
- 30 gr. toasted coconut oil
- 6 green mango, in strips
- 3 Talinum (Filipino spinach)
- 2 gr. cacao nibs, cut into small pieces
- 1 calamansi (zest)
- 8 nata de coco, in strips
- 9 squid, in strips
- 25 gr. black purée
- Nata de coco: filter the coconut water, add sugar and stir. Transfer solution in a clean and heat resistant jar or container. Cover with clean cheesecloth (it should be ¾ of the container only to have airspace). Pasteaurize solution by heating in a water bath for 15-20 min. Allow the solution to cool. Add the glacial acetic acid and starter. Store in room temperature and dry area for 7-10 days. AVOID MOVING THE STARTER. NOTE: FINAL VOLUME 1.2 l. (1 l. for production of nata and 200 ml. to keep as starter). Remove nata de coco and discard the liquid. Wash several times in warm water to remove the acid. Cut the nata de coco into strips of 5 cm. long and 0.5 cm. wide.
- Squid: clean the squid; remove the head and tentacles from the body as well as the spin. Cut into half thru the spin. Remove the outer skin of the squid and, inner part have to remove all the membrane or it will be chewy. Put it in a vacuum bag, flat it out and pour in the oil. Cook it at 59ºC for 1.5 h. Cut the squid into strips of 5 cm. long and 0.5 cm. wide.
- Black purée: grill the eggplant, tomato, onion, garlic and banana in the oven. Peel the eggplant and put all the vegetables in a robot and blend for 3 min. until it is really fine. Add in the black in and season with salt. Pass through a fine strainer.
- Place a quenelle of the purée on the side of the plate.
- Heat the toasted coconut oil to 50ºC. Remove from the heat, add in the nata de coco and squid for about 30 sec. and out it on top of the purée.
- Place in the green mango strips in sameline as the squid and nata de coco.
- Place nibs on top and calamansi gel.
- Finish with Talinum leaves.